Zaloguj się, aby obserwować  
PinKee

English Channel

1054 postów w tym temacie

Dnia 01.05.2013 o 12:06, Deathblade napisał:

One thing is sad, that not everyone in Poland, speaks on normal level English. For example
i can point mine English group at Uni :(

What do you mean by "normal"? That doesn''t explain anything. Is it intermediate? Lower? At your level, assuming you are above intermediate?

Dnia 15.09.2013 o 03:26, MadBunnyRabbit napisał:

> One thing is sad, that not everyone in Poland, speaks on normal level English. For

What I meant is that their English is on basic level. Sometimes it''s hard to communicate with them in English :)

I see that this thread is almost dead :(

Dnia 15.09.2013 o 16:17, Deathblade napisał:

> > One thing is sad, that not everyone in Poland, speaks on normal level English.
For

What I meant is that their English is on basic level. Sometimes it''s hard to communicate
with them in English :)

I see that this thread is almost dead :(

Because there is nothing to talk about? Because it''s neither promoted, nor advertised? Because users have better things to do than using their brains and using foreign language? :P If somebody started with interesting topic, the thread would come back to life, theoretically.

Dnia 15.09.2013 o 16:31, skyline20 napisał:

/.../

I would say first and maybe not enough people know about it. I mean, personally I like the idea, although some may say that makes me pretentious (if you know what I mean ^.^). Still, what to talk about? I would gladly join the book discussion, but I''m not a book worm. Last one I read was over a year ago and it wasn''t in English, so yeah. Not really much to say in that regard. So what do talk about?
It''s like the night topic. The rule, that it can''t change into irc is just ridicules. What is the point of it then? Just to talk after midnight? You can do it in every other topic.
We could go ironic and talk about importance of using native language. Or tackle some social issues. Maybe the growing personal isolation that comes with technology. How tech us affects seems like an interesting topic, now that I think about it. Anybody wanna try?

Dnia 15.09.2013 o 16:51, MadBunnyRabbit napisał:

We could go ironic and talk about importance of using native language. Or tackle some
social issues. Maybe the growing personal isolation that comes with technology. How tech
us affects seems like an interesting topic, now that I think about it. Anybody wanna
try?

To be honest I think that the topic is kinda... pointless. Now don''t lynch me just yet.
The problem is that it''s like playing football on an improvised field while just next to you is a professional field with all the bells and whistles. This is a Polish forum where people come to talk in Polish. If they want to talk in English they just go to English forums and there they can talk all they want in English. That is IF they want to. Nowadays it''s so easy to go meet English-speaking people that this thread is simply kinda redundant. Why should you labour in a topic where you only talk with other Poles if you can go out into the net and talk with native users all you want?

Dnia 15.09.2013 o 16:17, Deathblade napisał:

/.../

Well I guess you ended up with crapy group then. Sucks to be you. Then again, that way your prof or doc will slide you a bit on that one.
As for thread. Lets try and revitalize it then.

Dnia 15.09.2013 o 16:56, Hubi_Koshi napisał:

/.../

Maybe you are right, but, as someone who does, what you just suggested, I noticed two problems with it. People either don''t care about your spelling, which doesn''t really help you learn anything. It can even reenforce some bad habits. Or they ignore all you say just to point out how your spelling is bad, which is frustrating and doesn''t really help since they don''t say what rules you broke.
So if anything else, you can treat the topic as sort of practice slash educational. Knowing that nobody will be a rude to you, only because you made some mistakes, hopefully pointing it out and saying why it is wrong.
And there is always the, because we can argument. If you feel it is redundant. Ok, no problem, maybe it is. We don''t care.

Dnia 15.09.2013 o 17:24, MadBunnyRabbit napisał:

> /.../
Maybe you are right, but, as someone who does, what you just suggested, I noticed two
problems with it. People either don''t care about your spelling, which doesn''t really
help you learn anything. It can even reenforce some bad habits. Or they ignore all you
say just to point out how your spelling is bad, which is frustrating and doesn''t really
help since they don''t say what rules you broke.

Good point, though it really depends on just what kind of forums and sites you visit. I mostly frequent places like Deviantart where the faithfulness to grammar and spelling is pretty high.

So if anything else, you can treat the topic as sort of practice slash educational. Knowing
that nobody will be a rude to you, only because you made some mistakes, hopefully pointing
it out and saying why it is wrong.

Good point... assuming that no one Here will be getting butthurt about the mistakes XD

And there is always the, because we can argument. If you feel it is redundant. Ok, no
problem, maybe it is. We don''t care.

Well I''m not dissing this thread, just wanted to put forward what I had in mind.

Dnia 15.09.2013 o 17:36, Hubi_Koshi napisał:

Good point (...) I mostly frequent places /.../

Think you ate a word there. Hehe.
I''m mostly basing my opinion on in game chats, youtube and different gaming forums, like bliz or ubi forums. Those are pretty polarized communities.

Dnia 15.09.2013 o 17:36, Hubi_Koshi napisał:

Good point... assuming that no one Here will be getting butthurt about the mistakes XD

Mostly what I noticed is that people mostly ignore spelling, or everybody is on such a high level. Still topic is pretty stale for some time, so who knows, maybe it will die out again.

Dnia 15.09.2013 o 18:13, MadBunnyRabbit napisał:

Think you ate a word there. Hehe.

Where? Oh, you mean frequent? No no it''s not Frequently but Frequent which means to visit some place regularly.

I''m mostly basing my opinion on in game chats, youtube and different gaming forums,
like bliz or ubi forums. Those are pretty polarized communities.

True, it really depends on what kind of people spend time in such places. Then again it can be argued that nowadays barely anyone cares about grammar... Also with Youtube the word limit is a problem. You can't go beyond 500 signs limit so some people simplify words to fit in more content.

Mostly what I noticed is that people mostly ignore spelling, or everybody is on such
a high level. Still topic is pretty stale for some time, so who knows, maybe it will
die out again.

[chuckles] Yeah like the infamous Your/You''re mistake, that stuff makes my teeth ache... It helps when you have a spelling checker installed in your browser... but then again the checker only checks the spelling and not improper grammatical use...

Dnia 15.09.2013 o 18:25, Hubi_Koshi napisał:

Where? Oh, you mean frequent? No no it''s not Frequently but Frequent which means to
visit some place regularly.

Heh, my point kinda proven right now. I didn''t know you can use frequent as "visit often". I always thought it is just a synonymous of "often".

/.../ Then again it can be argued that nowadays barely anyone cares about grammar

Well I always like to think, that people who genuinely care about it, just sit in front of their screen and facepalm.

/.../ You can''t go beyond 500 signs limit so some people simplify words to fit in more content.

So not true. As someone who spends vast majority of his sizable free time on YouTube, I saw a lot of two part comments. Sometimes more. I also do it from time to time.

/.../

Well, it is really basic one, but I don''t notice it that often. It''s more of a recurring joke on sites like 9gag. Then again what do I know. Up until today I was spelling "realy". Or to this day I have to think a sec about difference between "then" and "than", most of the time not being sure if I used to proper one anyway. Another big problem I have is from "e", "a" and "i", "y". Sometimes the pronunciation is so misleading

Dnia 15.09.2013 o 19:33, MadBunnyRabbit napisał:

Heh, my point kinda proven right now. I didn''t know you can use frequent as "visit often".
I always thought it is just a synonymous of "often".

Well we learn every day I guess. Good for you.

Well I always like to think, that people who genuinely care about it, just sit in front
of their screen and facepalm.

Considering the level of grammar in some places I''d go with facedesk and groan because of the brain-pain XD

So not true. As someone who spends vast majority of his sizable free time on YouTube,
I saw a lot of two part comments. Sometimes more. I also do it from time to time.

Yes you can make Two part comments but it''s just... It''s uncomfortable for me, not only is it hard to follow such a discussion but it''s also hard to reply.

Well, it is really basic one, but I don''t notice it that often. It''s more of a recurring
joke on sites like 9gag. Then again what do I know. Up until today I was spelling "realy".
Or to this day I have to think a sec about difference between "then" and "than", most
of the time not being sure if I used to proper one anyway. Another big problem I have
is from "e", "a" and "i", "y". Sometimes the pronunciation is so misleading

Well that''s the problem with English, some languages, like Polish have nearly phonetic spelling while some like English simply run on Evulz and turn the words into tongue-wrestling luchadors on steroids.... I was really shocked as a kid when I heard How you speak in English. Before that I simply read English words phonetically and then BAM they sound completely different.
Btw. Not sure if it was said anywhere but you know this joke about English vocabulary? Because of the British colonialism and English being so popular nowadays they say that English doesn't just Borrow words from other language but it follows them into dark alleys and mugs them for vocabulary XD

Dnia 15.09.2013 o 19:41, Hubi_Koshi napisał:

Yes you can make Two part comments but it''s just... It''s uncomfortable for me, not
only is it hard to follow such a discussion but it''s also hard to reply.

I give you that, it is hard to follow it, but you can also say that about a long one with more than two people involved. After all, I don''t think it was designed for that. I guess for you, Reddit is a place to be. Alternatively there are private messages.

Dnia 15.09.2013 o 19:41, Hubi_Koshi napisał:

/.../

Well I didn''t have that problem as a kid. I''m one of those(or these - another one that I just can''t understand) guys, that as a kid had dish tv and (un)fortunately, cartoon network was in English. So as I was learning to speak I indirectly learned it as well. The problem right now is to actually say words. In the mind they sound just like they should, nothing near when they actually come out of my mouth.

I don''t get the joke about mugging. The luchador and facedesk made me laugh, but I simply don''t understand this one. The little I learned about great Britain history and evolution of English language, how it was influenced etc. I just... is it a colonial joke? Please explain.

Also look at us, giving life to the topic ^.^

Dnia 15.09.2013 o 20:14, MadBunnyRabbit napisał:

I give you that, it is hard to follow it, but you can also say that about a long one
with more than two people involved. After all, I don''t think it was designed for that.
I guess for you, Reddit is a place to be. Alternatively there are private messages.

Well I guess it''s because of a difference in purpose the makers had in mind when they made it. Youtube isn''t designed to be a Forum, the comments are just there to say what you think about the clip rather than discuss with people...

Well I didn''t have that problem as a kid. I''m one of those(or these - another one that
I just can''t understand) guys, that as a kid had dish tv and (un)fortunately, cartoon
network was in English. So as I was learning to speak I indirectly learned it as well.
The problem right now is to actually say words. In the mind they sound just like they
should, nothing near when they actually come out of my mouth.

Well it''s just a matter of practise, say those words often and try to keep them close to how they really sound. You might try playing with microphone and the voice recorder. Record the stuff you say and then listen to it and try to figure out the mistakes you''ve made.

I don''t get the joke about mugging. The luchador and facedesk made me laugh, but I simply
don''t understand this one. The little I learned about great Britain history and evolution
of English language, how it was influenced etc. I just... is it a colonial joke? Please
explain.

Ah it kinda refers to how aggressively English acquires new vocabulary. That language is used world-wide by all kinds of people in many different situations so very often when English user lacks some word he just takes one from a different language. English simply steals vocabulary from other languages at a pace that is simply incomparable to that of other languages. For example French are very strict about borrowing words, they don''t want to "contaminate" their own vocabulary with foreign stuff.

Also look at us, giving life to the topic ^.^

And it started with me complaining that this thread is redundant. Talk about irony.

Dnia 15.09.2013 o 20:25, Hubi_Koshi napisał:

Well I guess it''s because of a difference in purpose the makers had in mind when they
made it. /.../

I don''t think it should be an excuse. Pretty much everything involving any sort of social gatherings should evolve overtime, in order to provide a better, more comfortable interaction. For instance, YT should increase their 500 cap and gram.pl should do something about this small ass response window, or at least figure out the quote symbol, because it is a drag when posts get longer. I remember that to be a problem back in ''09. We have ''13 and nothing changed.

Well it''s just a matter of practise /.../

I know. Hopefully I will have some classes that focus on speaking at my college, because recording it, is just too silly for me. Maybe if I were alone... I''m shy ^.^ Also for whatever reason my spell check underlined "practise". Go figure.

Ah it kinda refers to how aggressively English acquires new vocabulary. /.../

I''ll take your word on that. I always felt it was the other way around, maybe with exception of technical words, but what do I know. I''m ignorant to these(ugh! Again!) type of things. Which is kinda ironic, considering I''m supposed to study English.

Dnia 15.09.2013 o 21:09, MadBunnyRabbit napisał:

I don''t think it should be an excuse. Pretty much everything involving any sort of social
gatherings should evolve overtime, in order to provide a better, more comfortable interaction.
For instance, YT should increase their 500 cap and gram.pl should do something about
this small ass response window, or at least figure out the quote symbol, because it is
a drag when posts get longer. I remember that to be a problem back in ''09. We have ''13
and nothing changed.

Well nowadays you can stretch the response window (bottom right corner of the response window)

I know. Hopefully I will have some classes that focus on speaking at my college, because
recording it, is just too silly for me. Maybe if I were alone... I''m shy ^.^ Also for
whatever reason my spell check underlined "practise". Go figure.

Yeah most people are afraid of doing such stuff because mistakes can be embarrassing but if you want to get better you should overcome that. One thing one of my teachers said that even if you are afraid of making mistakes you should still risk making them.
Edit. Drats almost forgot. About practise, it might depend on whether you have American English or British English dictionary, there is a difference in use of practise/practice between those two.

I''ll take your word on that. I always felt it was the other way around, maybe with exception
of technical words, but what do I know. I''m ignorant to these(ugh! Again!) type of things.
Which is kinda ironic, considering I''m supposed to study English.

Well it might not be so hardcore nowadays but from I remember about my studies of English (went to college too) English was very borrow-happy about vocabulary.

Dnia 15.09.2013 o 21:23, Hubi_Koshi napisał:

Well nowadays you can stretch the response window (bottom right corner of the response window)

Doesn''t work for me. I tried on opera, mozilla and explorer.

Yeah most people are afraid /.../

It is not about making mistakes. It is about me sitting in my room recording as I am talking in English, only for someone to come in and ask me what the hell I am doing? I dunno why, but I can''t imagine what I could say to not sound silly or stupid. I''m just socially awkward like that.

Edit. /.../

Freaking great. One more difference to remember. Those guys should at least try and get along.

Well it might not be so hardcore nowadays but from I remember about my studies of English
(went to college too) English was very borrow-happy about vocabulary.

Heh, wanted to point out that you added one to many "o", but something struck me and I decided to check that. This is just... I lack words to describe how I feel about it. Seven years of English and yet all my teachers failed to mention this. In fact claiming otherwise. I''m starting to regret my pick of subject, that is, if it will be so detailed, or if they will let some of this stuff slide. Then again, it they should teach us all the proper stuff. I guess I''ll find out soon enough.

Dnia 15.09.2013 o 21:48, MadBunnyRabbit napisał:

Doesn''t work for me. I tried on opera, mozilla and explorer.

That''s weird O_o... Sorry if I sound patronizing but... did you try to enlarge the WHOLE response window or just the bit where you write the text?

It is not about making mistakes. It is about me sitting in my room recording as I am
talking in English, only for someone to come in and ask me what the hell I am doing?
I dunno why, but I can''t imagine what I could say to not sound silly or stupid. I''m
just socially awkward like that.

Naaah don''t worry about that, anyone would feel weird about "talking to your own self".

Freaking great. One more difference to remember. Those guys should at least try and get
along.

Say that to the guys during the Independence War XD Then there is the Australian English or Canadian English. This stuff can give you one hell of a headache.

Heh, wanted to point out that you added one to many "o", but something struck me and
I decided to check that. This is just... I lack words to describe how I feel about it.
Seven years of English and yet all my teachers failed to mention this. In fact claiming
otherwise. I''m starting to regret my pick of subject, that is, if it will be so detailed,
or if they will let some of this stuff slide. Then again, it they should teach us all
the proper stuff. I guess I''ll find out soon enough.

You mean "too"? Heh count yourself lucky. When I was starting with English I only had a handful of classes in Primary School with some out-of-town people organizing courses for kids who wanted to attend. In Middle School it was two years with a semi-competent Ukrainian teacher, guys were playing CARDS during his classes would you believe that? It wasn''t until third year of Middle School that we got a competent teacher and then it went way up in High School.
Heh I still remember fondly how I played Fallout 2 in the middle school while not understanding a thing XD

Dnia 15.09.2013 o 22:06, Hubi_Koshi napisał:

That''s weird O_o... Sorry if I sound patronizing but... did you try to enlarge the WHOLE
response window or just the bit where you write the text?

Don''t worry. I guess I would be just as surprised as you. In fact I am. One of the first thing, when I came back to forum I tried to stretch this stupid window and I just couldn''t believe this. Although, it is important to note, that all my browsers are out of date, which may explain why I can''t do it.

Say that to the guys during the Independence War XD

I hate when people bring up past stuff like this. I get, it is supposed to be used humorously here and I have no problem about it. I''m talking about people that base their judgment of other people, on history. Hate those people.

Then there is the Australian English or Canadian English.

As far as I know, they aren''t as popular, so whatever.
In the worst case scenario I''ll be talking a strange hybrid of the four. Who knows, maybe if some day I''ll get international fame, that would become my distinguish characteristic.

You mean "too"? Heh count yourself lucky.

Please. That is nothing. Prim school, German instead of English. Before you ask, I don''t remember anything from those three years
Mid school. Straight to intermediate. Teacher was ok, but the class was just terrible, so she lowered the bar.
Technical (high?) school. First year, competent, demanding teacher. Really nice level. Second year. Two new teachers. One for my group another for another. They were sisters, so most of the time we all sit cramped in a classroom watching movies. The excuse was, that movies were in English. Third year, we got a guy, we texted, when nobody wanted to stay on his classes, as they were the last ones that year. Also from time to time he came in with hangover and wasn''t shy to admit it. Final year, we got a nice, maybe to nice teacher. She said, that she doesn''t know us and doesn''t want to judge us to harsh, since it is the last year. I don''t really remember picking up handbook on her classes. Sometimes she just brought in some basic grammar quizzes.
If you didn''t notice, I''m trying to say that my English education was a big fat joke. My grammar is purely instinctual. I couldn''t quote you a single rule. I feel so amazing about it, that I just had to boost about it on a polish forum. That is assuming you''re not facedesking right now. I guess you would say something or stop responding if it was bad, or rather really bad.

Heh I still remember fondly how I played Fallout 2 in the middle school while not understanding a thing XD

That is interesting. I honestly can''t tell you, if I understood or not games I was playing as a kid. I guess it just came to me naturally. I could use Red Alert 2 as an example, if I understood cutscenes or not as I was about 11-12yo, but about a year ago I felt some nostalgia and played it again. I think I understood enough to enjoy playing without trying to figure out what to do next, but nothing in the campaign surprised me. Like I wrote cartoon network was my teacher, I think I have to it, because teachers did jack to advance my knowledge of the language.

Dnia 15.09.2013 o 22:42, MadBunnyRabbit napisał:

Don''t worry. I guess I would be just as surprised as you. In fact I am. One of the first
thing, when I came back to forum I tried to stretch this stupid window and I just couldn''t
believe this. Although, it is important to note, that all my browsers are out of date,
which may explain why I can''t do it.

Well it might be that after all...

I hate when people bring up past stuff like this. I get, it is supposed to be used humorously
here and I have no problem about it. I''m talking about people that base their judgment
of other people, on history. Hate those people.

Like every German being a Nazi huh? Yeah those kinds of people are really face-palm worthy. If you squint hard enough every country committed some asshole moves in their history. Our own Poland for example is shown as a perfect example of Soviet/Nazi victim but few people remember that not long after the First World War we took a large chunk of Ukrainian territory.

As far as I know, they aren''t as popular, so whatever.

At least as long as you don''t go there. Personally I''m seriously thinking about moving to Canada. It''s a nice enough country with nice people and hopefully none of the Polish heat waves. I hate heat...

In the worst case scenario I''ll be talking a strange hybrid of the four. Who knows,
maybe if some day I''ll get international fame, that would become my distinguish characteristic.

Well start by calling everyone "mate" and playing lots of hokey XD

Please. That is nothing. Prim school, German instead of English. Before you ask, I don''t
remember anything from those three years

Heh we had some German classes in College though it makes me feel ashamed I was too lazy to bother with learning it ^^;

Mid school. Straight to intermediate. Teacher was ok, but the class was just terrible,
so she lowered the bar.
Technical (high?) school. First year, competent, demanding teacher. Really nice level.
Second year. Two new teachers. One for my group another for another. They were sisters,
so most of the time we all sit cramped in a classroom watching movies. The excuse was,
that movies were in English. Third year, we got a guy, we texted, when nobody wanted
to stay on his classes, as they were the last ones that year. Also from time to time
he came in with hangover and wasn''t shy to admit it. Final year, we got a nice, maybe
to nice teacher. She said, that she doesn''t know us and doesn''t want to judge us to
harsh, since it is the last year. I don''t really remember picking up handbook on her
classes. Sometimes she just brought in some basic grammar quizzes.

Heh that sure sucks for you... Well the movies part was actually kinda good, allows you to practise listening. I had this absolutely awesome teacher for my... second and third year in High School I think. She was knowledgeable, demanding but also snarky and had a great sense of humour. Just before Christmas once she brought a recording of this song
(WARNING: Severe swearing)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2ncqIlF7AI
And we were doing some exercises with it, the whole class was rolling on the floor, laughing XD

If you didn''t notice, I''m trying to say that my English education was a big fat joke.
My grammar is purely instinctual. I couldn''t quote you a single rule. I feel so amazing
about it, that I just had to boost about it on a polish forum. That is assuming you''re
not facedesking right now. I guess you would say something or stop responding if it was
bad, or rather really bad.

Naaah you are doing very well, I only noticed a handful of little mistakes which don''t really bother me at all. In fact I have to admit that my understanding of grammar is instinctual as well. I always kinda sucked at Grammar exams in College I always used the form I "felt" was the right one... which is kinda what every English user should strive for. You see English or any other language is not a Subject but a Skill. Essentially it''s not like Geography or History where you cram the information, it''s an ability which you have to hone and continuously use. Essentially it''s something where Theoretical knowledge is much less important than practical one. You can know all the rules but if you take half an hour to say or write something because you wonder "What rules should I use" then you are doing it wrong...

That is interesting. I honestly can''t tell you, if I understood or not games I was playing
as a kid. I guess it just came to me naturally. I could use Red Alert 2 as an example,
if I understood cutscenes or not as I was about 11-12yo, but about a year ago I felt
some nostalgia and played it again. I think I understood enough to enjoy playing without
trying to figure out what to do next, but nothing in the campaign surprised me. Like
I wrote cartoon network was my teacher, I think I have to it, because teachers did jack
to advance my knowledge of the language.

Yeah for me Fallout was pretty much my first encounter with Real, Live English. It''s a great thing that you had english Cartoon Network, the more we deal with a foreign language as kids the easier it is for us to learn it. Well if you are going to English-oriented college then you''ll learn all about how people learn that stuff.

Utwórz konto lub zaloguj się, aby skomentować

Musisz być użytkownikiem, aby dodać komentarz

Utwórz konto

Zarejestruj nowe konto na forum. To jest łatwe!

Zarejestruj nowe konto

Zaloguj się

Masz już konto? Zaloguj się.

Zaloguj się
Zaloguj się, aby obserwować