Zaloguj się, aby obserwować  
PinKee

English Channel

1054 postów w tym temacie

Wow.
I didn''t expect that kinda response.
Well this thread isn''t pointless, we can practice here our language, right ? right ? :P

Dnia 15.09.2013 o 22:42, MadBunnyRabbit napisał:

> Heh I still remember fondly how I played Fallout 2 in the middle school while not
understanding a thing XD
That is interesting. I honestly can''t tell you, if I understood or not games I was playing

Erm. I knew english from 1yo i could say *flex* :D Polish is my second language :)
So whole school, i was bored at lessons. I remember at High school, i was sleeping at English lessons xD
But honestly that times, teacher was horrible (Straight from Uni, young girl, pretty but she was trying to be like older teachers ;x).
But i''m not fluent at all. I guess i need to move out to improve my english :)

Dnia 15.09.2013 o 23:03, Hubi_Koshi napisał:

Like every German being a Nazi huh? /.../

Exactly what I meant. The same with Russia and as you mentioned Ukraine. I even was a witness to such a discussion by some butt-hurt Ukrainian and I assume a Pole, about how we took their territory. I feel like these type of discussion, if they really need to exist, should be reserved after we take care of internal problems.
In fact, let me change the subject a bit.
Did you ever listen to "Poranny WF"? Basically for about an hour, Wojewódzki and Figurski were offending anyone they can. They were making fun of plain crush in Smoleńsk and everything surrounded by that, from burial in Wawel and the cross controversy for about two month, almost every day. What I can''t understand is, how in the hell they did that, without any consequences, but the second they made fun of of Ukrainian women, as our countries were getting ready for euro, they had to apologize and they got shut down.
It occurred to me right now. What if it was because of our mutual history? I get that saying you have an illegal immigrant maid slash sex slave or whatever else they were talking about is degrading both to women and Ukraine people, but for F sake. They were making fun of our prime minister, president and Putin. Isn''t it ironic? Putin didn''t make a fuss out of them joking that he staged this with Tusk, but mention Ukraine and they are gone.

At least as long as you don''t go there. /.../

Then we have something in common. That is, not liking heat. Although in some parts of Canada, I bet cold waves are a major problem. I also like how you generalize them as being nice people. I guess when why generalize someone, it is better to use positives, rather than negative. In the end, if you finally end up there, you will see for yourself how it is. Maybe give us some insight (assuming this site will exist and people interested will still be here) on how accurate the stereotypes are. :)
As for difference in English based on location, I watched a great stand-up special by Gabriel Iglesias. He posted the whole thing for free, for his non American fans, which you can watch here youtu.be/50zDrdBRSTw
In my opinion, he is hilarious. You should definitely check him out, but to the point.
At first he talks a bit about differences between Hawaii and continental US. He didn''t talk much about their slang, but he did mention cool substitute for "yes".

Well start by calling everyone "mate" and playing lots of hokey XD

Me and skates don''t get along, but I actually like the sound of "mate". Way better than "dude". As for language mix, I like how Irish call their cigarettes. Whenever I have an occasion to drop unexpected "fag" on people, I use it.

Heh we had some German classes in College though it makes me feel ashamed I was too lazy
to bother with learning it ^^;

I don''t blame you. Although for me it was a bit of disappointment slash rebellion, but in the end the language just didn''t want to stay in my head. Fact that some words in English are from German, didn''t help at all, especialy in situations where they sound similar, but meant different things.

Heh that sure sucks for you... Well the movies part was actually kinda good, allows you
to practise listening.

That is if anybody would actually listen to it and not talk over the tv. Besides, like I mentioned, most of my free time is spent on YT, so an hour or two a week listening to a movie, didn''t realy change much.

/.../ (WARNING: Severe swearing)

No need for such warnings. ^.^ Also pretty cool song.

And we were doing some exercises with it, the whole class was rolling on the floor, laughing

Sounds like a cool teacher.

Naaah you are doing very well

Oh please. Stop with the BS.

I only noticed a handful of little mistakes

You see? Not so very well. Well ok, maybe very well, but I strive for perfection!(sometimes)

/.../

Some really wise words. I just hope more teacher would understood it, instead of bombarding us with grammar quizzes. I mean seriously. I''m sitting in mid school, intermediate level and first semester is all about basics. What the hell is that all about? Didn''t I get to that group based on my knowledge? Maybe it is because of curriculum (fun fact: I knew this word, had to check what "łyżwy" translates to). That doesn''t change the fact it should be, well, changed.

Well if you are going to English-oriented college then you''ll learn all about how people learn that stuff.

Honestly, I couldn''t care less about other people in that regard. I just hope we will actually speak and that there wont be too many history classes. That is my Achilles heel.

Dnia 15.09.2013 o 23:10, Deathblade napisał:

Wow. /.../

That is nothing. Back in ''09 I had an conversation on forum, that had two, three times longer posts. Can''t really remember which topic, but if you want, I''ll try to dig it up, if forum archive/stats are still working.

Dnia 15.09.2013 o 23:10, Deathblade napisał:

/.../

I guess I spoke to soon. They took out the stats, but fortunately there someone worked around it. I was able to trace my posts and two things turn out. First, I can''t really find the thread I was talking about and the post exchange. Also I found some other posts and the longest are around the same length. So I guess I got more efficient with responding, because I remember doing so over an hour a post.

Dnia 16.09.2013 o 01:01, MadBunnyRabbit napisał:

Exactly what I meant. The same with Russia and as you mentioned Ukraine. I even was a
witness to such a discussion by some butt-hurt Ukrainian and I assume a Pole, about how
we took their territory. I feel like these type of discussion, if they really need to
exist, should be reserved after we take care of internal problems.

No country is without a sin, they are all a bunch of assholes is how I usually sum up this whole "bringing up the history".

Did you ever listen to "Poranny WF"? Basically for about an hour, Wojewódzki and Figurski
were offending anyone they can. They were making fun of plain crush in Smoleńsk and everything
surrounded by that, from burial in Wawel and the cross controversy for about two month,
almost every day. What I can''t understand is, how in the hell they did that, without
any consequences, but the second they made fun of of Ukrainian women, as our countries
were getting ready for euro, they had to apologize and they got shut down.

Ah those two... heh that actually reminds me one skit by Eddie Izzard (and yes he is crossdressing XD)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMMHUzm22oE
Essentially as long as you are killing and abusing your Own people others are more or less okay with it, but the moment you start to pick on Other countries everyone gets offended and grabs guns.

It occurred to me right now. What if it was because of our mutual history? I get that
saying you have an illegal immigrant maid slash sex slave or whatever else they were
talking about is degrading both to women and Ukraine people, but for F sake. They were
making fun of our prime minister, president and Putin. Isn''t it ironic? Putin didn''t
make a fuss out of them joking that he staged this with Tusk, but mention Ukraine and
they are gone.

As for Putin... he doesn''t really care about us. Poles has an over-inflated sense of their own importance. That''s why I considered the Anti-Russian policy during the PiS reign to be a really dumb idea. Russia is a world-class power house, to them we are an annoyance at best, insignificant at worse. The Duck Brothers were pretty much poking a sleeping bear oh so confident that he Won''t Maul them when he wakes up.
As for Ukrainians... well it''s all about Diplomacy I guess. We are on rather shaky grounds with Ukraine as far as Diplomacy goes so we can''t really allow two morons to throw a monkey wrench into our dealings with Ukraine, especially prior to Euro.

Then we have something in common. That is, not liking heat. Although in some parts of
Canada, I bet cold waves are a major problem. I also like how you generalize them as
being nice people. I guess when why generalize someone, it is better to use positives,
rather than negative. In the end, if you finally end up there, you will see for yourself
how it is. Maybe give us some insight (assuming this site will exist and people interested
will still be here) on how accurate the stereotypes are. :)

Well that''s the general image of Canadians I get from various mass-media portrayals. They may not be particularly accurate but I like what I see XD I''m not overtly fond of Staters (I started using this for describing Americans since I realized that it''s kinda unfair to call THEM Americans if there is a whole bunch of other countries on those two continents) Being all super-religious and extreme-capitalist. Anyway if I''ll go there one day I''ll definitely write back on my findings ^^ Also while we are on Canadians, there is this cool Canadian guy in this webcomic
http://thepunchlineismachismo.com/archives/comic/02222010

As for difference in English based on location, I watched a great stand-up special by
Gabriel Iglesias. He posted the whole thing for free, for his non American fans, which
you can watch here youtu.be/50zDrdBRSTw
In my opinion, he is hilarious. You should definitely check him out, but to the point.

Well that''s not the Iglesias I''ve been imagining XD I''ll make sure to watch the thing. Also this makes me think of this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88uom9XpTKc

Me and skates don''t get along, but I actually like the sound of "mate". Way better than
"dude". As for language mix, I like how Irish call their cigarettes. Whenever I have
an occasion to drop unexpected "fag" on people, I use it.

[chuckles] Just make sure not to use it around Gay-Rights Supporters, you''ll be burned at stake XD

I don''t blame you. Although for me it was a bit of disappointment slash rebellion, but
in the end the language just didn''t want to stay in my head. Fact that some words in
English are from German, didn''t help at all, especialy in situations where they sound
similar, but meant different things.

Well English is a kinda Frankenmonster Language. It started off as an offshoot of German, then the French invaded the Isiles and brought their language and then all of that begin to mix. English is an unholy mix of German and French with some other stuff thrown in XD

That is if anybody would actually listen to it and not talk over the tv. Besides, like
I mentioned, most of my free time is spent on YT, so an hour or two a week listening
to a movie, didn''t realy change much.

Good point, not to mention that the movie probably wasn''t very interesting. That''s something I often say about Polish classes in our schools. Sure the various books they go through in our schools are important bits of our culture and history but... that stuff is BORING. I mean you take a teenager and make him read and cram stuff about some highly sophisticated piece of literature... which he will forget about five minutes after the class ends. My personal belief is that during Polish classes the teachers should introduce some fun, interesting book. Essentially those classes should promote reading by showing the kids that reading is NOT all about boring and stuffy novels by some big-name patriotic writers. Because... really what''s the point of Polish classes anyway? The students nowadays don''t even bother to read those books, they''ll just read some summaries on the net. I remember one of my Polish language teachers very fondly because she introduced me to Witcher and Hobbit.
Harry Potter is an extremely good example of such a book. It pretty much single-handedly reintroduced "Reading for Fun" into the young generation while everyone thought that kids didn't care about books.

Sounds like a cool teacher.

She was ^^ She was pretty cute too, just 20-something.

Oh please. Stop with the BS.

No Bullshit dear sir! I''m speaking the honest truth.

You see? Not so very well. Well ok, maybe very well, but I strive for perfection!(sometimes)

Small mistakes as in something everybody does.

> /.../
Some really wise words. I just hope more teacher would understood it, instead of bombarding
us with grammar quizzes. I mean seriously. I''m sitting in mid school, intermediate level
and first semester is all about basics. What the hell is that all about? Didn''t I get
to that group based on my knowledge? Maybe it is because of curriculum (fun fact: I knew
this word, had to check what "łyżwy" translates to). That doesn''t change the fact it
should be, well, changed.

Yeah there is too much focus on Cramming instead of Thinking and using the stuff you learn. Cramming is pretty much the dumbest thing I have ever seen in an educational system. Almost nobody remembers the stuff they crammed for the exam after said exam is finished.

Honestly, I couldn''t care less about other people in that regard. I just hope we will
actually speak and that there wont be too many history classes. That is my Achilles heel.

Well I have bad news for you... A very big part of the curriculum there is learning not only How to use the language but also all the background stuff like, how the English was formed, it''s history, the cultural background as well as developments in linguistic knowledge. You can learn some interesting stuff there, like how Chimpanzees can actually learn to use a language and even modify it for their own needs.

Dnia 16.09.2013 o 08:01, Hubi_Koshi napisał:

As for Putin...

It''s not all that good and well there. Not their glorious days. Still you have a point. Then again, we kinda could have played some small role with the rocked shield thingy. If it would come to it, he would probably took an interest. Another pawn in US, Russia conflict, just like Syria right now.

As for Ukrainians... well it''s all about Diplomacy I guess. We are on rather shaky grounds
with Ukraine as far as Diplomacy goes so we can''t really allow two morons to throw a
monkey wrench into our dealings with Ukraine, especially prior to Euro.

Are we really? I meet some Ukrainians here in Poland and they generally say that back home sucks. Go figure. Keeping that in mind, I''m not sure what their government has against us. If it is about history bullshit, then actually, the land was kinda ours. I dunno. Don''t really care. It is all one giant BS. All over the world.

I''m not overtly fond of Staters

Not sure if you are aware, but they have their own, growing in popularity term; “murica”. Sure it is more towards rednecks, but I guess if you want to generalize everything wrong with the country, you can just as well use that. Still if you just want to call people in general, why not use “colonists” xD

Web comic about gaming that parodies stuff. Well that''s a new one *sarcasm*
Well, it did made me laugh, but still, internet is filled with that stuff. At least be a little original, like Looking for Group.

Well that''s not the Iglesias I''ve been imagining XD I''ll make sure to watch the thing.

He actually makes this joke from time to time.

Also this makes me think of this

Well, since both are “Latino comedians”, comparison seems fair. Although that sounds a bit racist, when I think about it.

[chuckles] Just make sure not to use it around Gay-Rights Supporters /.../

Why would I be? It reminds me of one episode of South Park, where “faggot” changed its meaning in the whole country and everybody was using it care free, to the point where actual gay men took the word back to its previous meaning. Not sure what the hell was the moral, since they claim every joke should have one. Can''t see it.

Good point, not to mention that the movie probably wasn''t very interesting.

At first they were playing Monty Python, which I don''t find funny at all and some other group, that actually was kinda funny. Later we could play whatever we wanted as long as it was in English.

That''s something I often say about Polish classes /.../

A lot to cover here. Let me start with the boring aspect. Honestly, I don''t think that most of our literature is boring. When you sit and think about it, there is a lot of interesting, even fun stuff in it. I would say it all comes down to how you present a book. For instance, all my Polish teachers were doing the standard thing. Title, week to read, give me a summery to prove you read it and then teacher takes the wheel, explaining style and other BS. After two or three classes like that, another book. You could take the most interesting book in the world, present it like that and it instantly looses its appeal.
The second problem is the time given to read it. After all the words are a bit out of date in those classics. With time, you may learn them, but still, there are sever other classes you have to get ready and read a full novel in seven days. My mom sometimes take longer to read a book and she is a book worm. That plus the fact, you stay over forty hours a week at school. That is just asking for impossible. At college you at least have five or six subjects with twenty hours a week and people say that is hard. So my question is, what the hell?
Another thing is style and wording. I have Lord of the Rings trilogy. Haven''t read it all. It collects dust for several years right now. I got my hand on book called “Księga Motyli”, read it over the weekend. If you expect your students to read those heavy, old, Polish, classic novels, then maybe start with something simpler. Teach them words. Don''t expect that they will know everything author was trying to say in it, as you dictate it.
That is another problem I have. Who the hell says it should be like that? Shouldn''t beauty of literature be to just let your imagination go? In fact, in every creative media? For instance (some shameless advertisement) on my blog I wrote a text two days ago. Some took it literally, praised the idea of fully English written, despite being a bit creepy and one guy called it pretentious, which started a discussion about usage of Latin in churches. So far nobody seems to get it why I wrote it, like I did and most likely nobody will ever get it. Unless I come clean with it, if for some strange reason, in the future someone digs it up and finds it to be some brilliant peace of write art, they cannot say with hundred percent accuracy, what I meant. Then why do it now? Sure some may be obvious to people smarter than me, but why punish creativity. As long as it has hands and legs, it should be reworded. But no, it is faster to look for key phrases on the final exam and grade like that.
This is going out of hand. I should stop right now and I''ll do so.

She was ^^ She was pretty cute too, just 20-something.

Ah, cute teachers, we love them all ^.^

Well I have bad news for you... /.../

I should have expected that. Still if we will talk about some of the more interesting facts in the history, I wouldn''t mind and I know there are some interesting bits there. Still, like I wrote, as long as you can present something in an interesting way, even if it''s just some boring nonsense, it makes a big difference.

Dnia 16.09.2013 o 09:37, MadBunnyRabbit napisał:

It''s not all that good and well there. Not their glorious days. Still you have a point.
Then again, we kinda could have played some small role with the rocked shield thingy.
If it would come to it, he would probably took an interest. Another pawn in US, Russia
conflict, just like Syria right now.

I''m not saying it is, Russia''s power was greatly diminished after the Soviet Union collapsed but that country is still incomparably more powerful than Poland. Heh that''s the big problem with the international politics, one way or another you are someone''s pawn. The key is in learning with whom you should side to get the most benefits. I may sound like an asshole but the whole Polish Martyrdom cult in Poland annoys me just a little bit. I don''t want Poland as The Christ of Nations, I want strong, confident Poland that counts on the international playing field, not Poland that everyone kicks around.

Are we really? I meet some Ukrainians here in Poland and they generally say that back
home sucks. Go figure. Keeping that in mind, I''m not sure what their government has
against us. If it is about history bullshit, then actually, the land was kinda ours.
I dunno. Don''t really care. It is all one giant BS. All over the world.

It doesn''t really matter what they have against us, we just should be on good terms with them for the sake of economic growth. As for the land... that''s pretty much the easiest way to cause some serious problems. We claim that their territory is ours, Germans claim that ours is theirs and off we go into a an argument which only brings trouble to everyone...

Not sure if you are aware, but they have their own, growing in popularity term; “murica”.
Sure it is more towards rednecks, but I guess if you want to generalize everything wrong
with the country, you can just as well use that. Still if you just want to call people
in general, why not use “colonists” xD

Ah yes I heard of the Murica term XD Nono my Staters is not meant to generalize or anything, I intend it as a neutral term for people who live in the States. I just believe that Americans should be for every person from America, it''s just... I dunno unfair or arrogant to call those USA "Americans" as if they owned both continents.

Web comic about gaming that parodies stuff. Well that''s a new one *sarcasm*
Well, it did made me laugh, but still, internet is filled with that stuff. At least be
a little original, like Looking for Group.

Well read it on, it''s all about the super-masculine guys like Kratos, Duke Nukem or Sin City''s Marv trying to get back to the normal society... with considerable difficulties XD Also Commander Badass (the blond with goggles) is an incredibly awesome father.

Why would I be? It reminds me of one episode of South Park, where “faggot”
changed its meaning in the whole country and everybody was using it care free, to the
point where actual gay men took the word back to its previous meaning. Not sure what
the hell was the moral, since they claim every joke should have one. Can''t see it.

Well I didn''t watch South Park really, maybe about how it''s not the word that is important but attitude behind it? And while we are at changing the meaning of words
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o25I2fzFGoY

At first they were playing Monty Python, which I don''t find funny at all and some other
group, that actually was kinda funny. Later we could play whatever we wanted as long
as it was in English.

Mhm personally I like Monthy Python and English humor in general. I really love Sir Terry Pratchett''s books, the guy can write some awesome comedy scenes but also talk about very serious stuff.

A lot to cover here. Let me start with the boring aspect. Honestly, I don''t think that
most of our literature is boring. When you sit and think about it, there is a lot of
interesting, even fun stuff in it. I would say it all comes down to how you present a
book. For instance, all my Polish teachers were doing the standard thing. Title, week
to read, give me a summery to prove you read it and then teacher takes the wheel, explaining
style and other BS. After two or three classes like that, another book. You could take
the most interesting book in the world, present it like that and it instantly looses
its appeal.

Good point, the issue is not the books itself but how the teachers simply reduce them into "something to work through". It''s kinda like taking football and talking about physics behind the kicking of the ball without really playing the thing...

The second problem is the time given to read it. After all the words are a bit out of
date in those classics. With time, you may learn them, but still, there are sever other
classes you have to get ready and read a full novel in seven days. My mom sometimes take
longer to read a book and she is a book worm. That plus the fact, you stay over forty
hours a week at school. That is just asking for impossible. At college you at least have
five or six subjects with twenty hours a week and people say that is hard. So my question
is, what the hell?

Now that you mention it... to be honest I hardly ever read any books forced on us by the Teachers in High School but when a friend borrowed me a book or two I could finish them in one afternoon because they were interesting.

Another thing is style and wording. I have Lord of the Rings trilogy. Haven''t read it
all. It collects dust for several years right now. I got my hand on book called “Księga
Motyli”, read it over the weekend. If you expect your students to read those heavy,
old, Polish, classic novels, then maybe start with something simpler. Teach them words.
Don''t expect that they will know everything author was trying to say in it, as you dictate
it.

Lord of the Rings is kinda boring actually... I recognize how great Tolkien was for creating his own world and stuff but the way he keeps insisting on describing every little thing for pages no end... yeah.

That is another problem I have. Who the hell says it should be like that? Shouldn''t
beauty of literature be to just let your imagination go? In fact, in every creative media?
For instance (some shameless advertisement) on my blog I wrote a text two days ago. Some
took it literally, praised the idea of fully English written, despite being a bit creepy
and one guy called it pretentious, which started a discussion about usage of Latin in
churches. So far nobody seems to get it why I wrote it, like I did and most likely nobody
will ever get it. Unless I come clean with it, if for some strange reason, in the future
someone digs it up and finds it to be some brilliant peace of write art, they cannot
say with hundred percent accuracy, what I meant. Then why do it now? Sure some may be
obvious to people smarter than me, but why punish creativity. As long as it has hands
and legs, it should be reworded. But no, it is faster to look for key phrases on the
final exam and grade like that.

Yes that is a rather sad thing, instead of promoting creativity the various morons in the educational field try to lock the students in patterns and The Only Right Answers, which is a really stupid approach. Instead of rearing creative, thinking students they get robots who can only do what they are told...

Ah, cute teachers, we love them all ^.^

That we do ^^

I should have expected that. Still if we will talk about some of the more interesting
facts in the history, I wouldn''t mind and I know there are some interesting bits there.
Still, like I wrote, as long as you can present something in an interesting way, even
if it''s just some boring nonsense, it makes a big difference.

Indeed, after all History is not just Dates and Names but all kinds of events and not all of them serious or monotone, there is plenty of hilarious stuff right there.

Dnia 16.09.2013 o 10:05, Hubi_Koshi napisał:

I''m not saying it is, Russia''s power was greatly diminished after the Soviet Union
collapsed but that country is still incomparably more powerful than Poland. Heh that''s
the big problem with the international politics, one way or another you are someone''s
pawn. The key is in learning with whom you should side to get the most benefits. I may
sound like an asshole but the whole Polish Martyrdom cult in Poland annoys me just a
little bit. I don''t want Poland as The Christ of Nations, I want strong, confident Poland
that counts on the international playing field, not Poland that everyone kicks around.

You may say that, but what does it really mean? You may that after first world war, we weren''t in top condition as a nation, still we showed, we can kick ass. Besides the whole Europe was a bit fucked up. Should we have joined axis forces? Knowing that UK and France stood us out, that seems like an idea, right? We are in this uncomfortable, position of being in between. Constantly ravaged by war. If I had to use some kind of analogy, I must use a true story here. In mid school, there was this kid. He was bullied almost all the time and I mean, really bullied, nothing near what passes for bulling this days. I don''t even know why. He had a twin and nobody bothered him. Whenever someone made fun of me I just turned it into a joke and when pushed around I pushed back. Generally it worked for me. Nobody was giving me shit. The thing is, that kid, at first he was taking all the verbal abuse. When someone pushed him, he was getting all angry. By the end of a year, it didn''t matter what he did. He could talk back, push back, things only escalated because of that. I guess what I''m trying to say, is that we as a country, been pushed around so much, that no matter what we do, nobody will take it seriously. They''ll just gang up on us in worst case scenario. It is pretty sad, but I actually believe this to be true. We would need to invent something world changing to get out of that position and we all know how world and ground breaking inventions work. Rich people pay for you, so you can do science. Not that many interested rich people here. You here it all the time in the news. Pole doctor did something groundbreaking, in US, in Germany. If our government doesn''t take egg heads seriously, rest of the world won''t take our government seriously. As simple as that. At least to me it is.

It doesn''t really matter what they have against us, we just should be on good terms
with them for the sake of economic growth. As for the land... that''s pretty much the
easiest way to cause some serious problems. We claim that their territory is ours, Germans
claim that ours is theirs and off we go into a an argument which only brings trouble
to everyone...

Oh please. I remember hearing in the news, maybe a year, maybe two ago. Some butt-hurt Germans wanted “their” property in what was once German territory. This is really all bullshit. Oh look at me, I have boring, low paid job, but wait, my uncle Hans had this nice property outside of Gdańsk, yeah, I bet if I claim it and sell it, I''ll be able to do something about my life.

Nono my Staters is not meant to generalize or anything, /.../

Well, I still think colonists sound cooler ^.^

Well I didn''t watch South Park really, maybe about how it''s not the word that is important
but attitude behind it? And while we are at changing the meaning of words
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o25I2fzFGoY

Can you believe that this is first time I listened to this guy? I saw memes with him, but never got to watch any of his shows. To me he sounds more like a ranter than stand up comedian, still he makes some great points in his acts.

Mhm personally I like Monthy Python and English humor in general.

For me it depends. When they are all aggressive and blunt, like Carr, I love it, but when they do some more sophisticated jokes, or cabarets, I just don''t get it. I bet if I were to learn more about their culture that would change, but for now, if I can''t understand, I can''t laugh.

Good point, the issue is not the books itself but how the teachers simply reduce them
into "something to work through". It''s kinda like taking football and talking about
physics behind the kicking of the ball without really playing the thing...

Funny thing is, that according to curriculum, PE teacher should talk about some boring stuff, like size of field etc., but I bet you also played football on almost every classes.

Now that you mention it... to be honest I hardly ever read any books forced on us by
the Teachers in High School but when a friend borrowed me a book or two I could finish
them in one afternoon because they were interesting.

Did anybody actually read them? Outside of people that for some reason got passionate about that? Besides, personally, I always was a math guy. It is so much simpler.

Lord of the Rings is kinda boring actually... I recognize how great Tolkien was for creating
his own world and stuff but the way he keeps insisting on describing every little thing
for pages no end... yeah.

It wasn''t boring. Not to me. If I am to be honest, I could barely read it because of the style. Which is funny, because I have this weird way of writing. It is important to note, that as a kid I had dyslexia. To this day I''m below average when it comes to reading speed and according to my doctor I should use glasses when reading, despite the fact, I''m short sighted. Well, not just according to her. When I actually tried, I was more focused, but I normally wear them to drive. So, I''m not used. Heh, look at me making excuses. Still, this is important, because having all those problems, it isn''t fun for me to read. That is why I mentioned style. “Księga Motyli” is as simple as it can get. Short sentences. Not to many fancy words, if any, to be honest. It is a story about a girl looking to find out about her crazy mother and I had more fun reading that, than “Fight Club”. I loved the movie, it was great. Most likely would never go to watch an adaptation of “Księga Motyli”, because no amount of trailers and reviews would convince me that a girl talking to herself for two hours would make for a great movie. I suck, I know.

Yes that is a rather sad thing, instead of promoting creativity the various morons in
the educational field try to lock the students in patterns and The Only Right Answers,
which is a really stupid approach. Instead of rearing creative, thinking students they
get robots who can only do what they are told...

I bitched about all my Polish teachers, but I must give credit to one. Although, she was telling us the “right” answer and she graded us based on that. She was interested in our interpretations and I believe she let some people (like me xD) slide a bit (a lot), if they had some interesting observations. Despite the fact, she failed me in the last class and I had to wait a whole year to write my maturity exam, I like her. She was cool and fair. Again, it is this curriculum BS.

Indeed, after all History is not just Dates and Names but all kinds of events and not
all of them serious or monotone, there is plenty of hilarious stuff right there.

I want to recommend you CGPGrey https://www.youtube.com/user/CGPGrey
He talks about all sort of different things. If teachers would be like him, world of education would look so much better. I can''t freaking wait for him to expand on his “How to Become the British Monarch“ video.

Sorry, I''ll be responding in longer intervals, because someone brought home, some viruses and I''m really starting to feel like shit.

Sorry to say this but as much as I''d love to continue I have some other stuff to do now T_T.
It was fun talking to you, try to drag some other people into this thread and keep it alive.

And the thread died. Again. Well, even if it was quite predictable, I still had hope that it might be revived. What a shame, do I really have to do everything?

Anyway, as x-mas is coming closer and closer, I thought it''s good opportunity to talk a little about it. How do you spend these days, what do you do? Do you have any plans for gifts for your family? Or do you have something you''d like to get? And how about New Year''s Eve? Am I the only one who''ll be sitting in a house, playing videogames and eating junk food? :P

Dnia 27.11.2013 o 14:21, skyline20 napisał:

/.../

No plans whatsoever. But I''m already in the festive mood ''cause the ultimate Edinburgh Christmas Market has already opened a few days ago! :D I believe it''s not a big deal internationally but it''s huge in Scotland, especially in the capital and all the surrounding towns. Basically, the whole city centre turns into a massive Christmas village with dozens of wooden kiosks selling stuff like German sweets, French cheese, Belgian chocolate and so on. There''s also a Polish one but for some weir reason the only thing they sell are... crepes with nutella. Among all those kiosks there''s a traditional Christmas carousel, ice rink, small attractions for the young ones. And of course the main attraction - mulled wine :) It''s damn expensive (about £5 for a small cup) but when you spend some time around and it''s so cold that you can''t feel your hands anymore, you''re pay anything for a cup of teaming-hot spiced wine. I took some pictures while wandering around yesterday but for some reason I can''t upload them.

Dnia 28.11.2013 o 14:25, Jacentix napisał:

I can not English. I will never be posted in this topic but maybe someday ...

You already have! And that''s what we call progress :)

May someone tell me when should we use "had" and when "have"? Of course, in the way we talk about something that have happened before something else (I don''t remember the name of this time, it was past-something).
For example: "I met her yesterday for the first time. She told me that she had/have already seen me before".

By the way, should we write "I" (me) with the big letter or small?

Dnia 29.11.2013 o 00:14, Ventil napisał:

By the way, should we write "I" (me) with the big letter or small?

always "I", never "i".

and for your other question: if the first part of the sentence is in the past tense, so should the other one. so it should be "she told me she had seen me before" or "she tells me she''s seen me before", both would be correct. there are excpetions of course, but if you want details, just read a textbook, that''s a fairly easy and intuitive subject.

Thanks for help but I think that you didn''t understand me :)

I asked about differences between "had" and "have". I know that sometimes we use this word, sometimes that. Is this all about number of person we are talking about? Or maybe something else?

Dnia 29.11.2013 o 00:14, Ventil napisał:

May someone tell me when should we use "had" and when "have"?

It''s not as difficult as it may seem. Generally, "had" suggests that something happened before another thing, but they both happened in the past and have no relation to the present. For instance:
"she had already left when I arrived" = When I arrived (in the past) she wasn''t there (she left before the described moment). When you see a sentence in Past Perfect just stop for a moment and think about it a couple of times. It may take some time but you will eventualy get your head around it.
When it comes to Present Perfect a.k.a. "have", it''s not much different. "I have been playing video games since I was a child." This suggests that you have started playing games in the past and you still do, it hasn''t stopped, you regularly do this to this day. Or, say, "She has been waiting for him for hours." She has started waiting for someone in the past (in this case a few hours ago) but that person hasn''t showed up so she is still waiting. But if the guy finally showed up and they had a lovely day, and she wanted to tell about it to her friends on the next day, she would say: "I had been waiting for him for hours before he showed up". It''s all in the past now, but the action of waiting happened before another acton from the past - the guy''s appearance. If that''s not confusing enough, in Past Perfect we always use "had" but in Present Perfect "have" changes to "has" in third person singular (he/she/it).

Dnia 29.11.2013 o 00:41, Ventil napisał:

I asked about differences between "had" and "have".

Oh, in that case it''s pretty obvious. "Had" is the past tense of "have". When ypu talk about the past use "had". In the present and future tenses - "Have/has"

Utwórz konto lub zaloguj się, aby skomentować

Musisz być użytkownikiem, aby dodać komentarz

Utwórz konto

Zarejestruj nowe konto na forum. To jest łatwe!

Zarejestruj nowe konto

Zaloguj się

Masz już konto? Zaloguj się.

Zaloguj się
Zaloguj się, aby obserwować