Zaloguj się, aby obserwować  
PinKee

English Channel

1054 postów w tym temacie

In english we say: high school exams instead of matura. Word matura is used only in: Austria, Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Italy, Liechtenstein, the Republic of Macedonia, Montenegro, Poland, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Switzerland and Ukraine.
And we say to pass a math/language/biology etc. exam. There is no Preposition or postposition. It's next example of translating polish to english with polish syntax instead of creating english phrases.

Dnia 05.04.2009 o 13:18, hans_olo napisał:

In english we say: high school exams instead of matura. Word matura is used only in:
Austria, Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Italy, Liechtenstein,
the Republic of Macedonia, Montenegro, Poland, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Switzerland
and Ukraine.
And we say to pass a math/language/biology etc. exam. There is no Preposition or postposition.
It''s next example of translating polish to english with polish syntax instead of creating
english phrases.

In Empik school we have lessons with Englishman and he always says ''matura'', but if it''s so hard to stand I will use ''high school exam'' instead of ''matura'' in future :).

Dnia 05.04.2009 o 22:28, JayC napisał:

''matura''

To be honest "Matura" is also correct. I don''t see any difference between "Matura" or "High School Exam", because we aren''t native speakers.

Dnia 05.04.2009 o 22:47, 4ny4 napisał:

To be honest "Matura" is also correct. I don''t see any difference between "Matura" or
"High School Exam", because we aren''t native speakers.

Ok. But when You want to say "Warszawa" in english, would You say "Warszawa" or maybe "Warsaw"?
I would even say to be precise "high school leaving exam" or "high school leaving certificate exam". Yes it''s very long, but it''s more correct.

Dnia 07.04.2009 o 01:17, hans_olo napisał:

I would even say to be precise "high school leaving exam" or "high school leaving certificate
exam". Yes it''s very long, but it''s more correct.

I was taught to use phrase "secondary school final examination" when talking about "matura".
Anyone has taken the CAE exam recently? I''ve signed up for the summer session and would like to know if it''s hard to pass. I don''t want to waste my money on a failed exam :]

I''m going to take it in a few months too. I''ve got one guy in my group who already passed it, he was well prepared so he did it without any difficulties. He was studying english for like 5-6 years. So if you payed attention to the lessons, you shouldn''t have any problems too. And as i heard from my english teacher, from this year CAE is much easier than it was before, fe. shorter writing; lack of ''point a mistake'' exercises.

Dnia 08.04.2009 o 10:20, Kryhuu napisał:

I''m going to take it in a few months too. I''ve got one guy in my group who already
passed it, he was well prepared so he did it without any difficulties. He was studying
english for like 5-6 years. So if you payed attention to the lessons, you shouldn''t
have any problems too. And as i heard from my english teacher, from this year CAE is
much easier than it was before, fe. shorter writing; lack of ''point a mistake'' exercises.

Normally I woulnd''t much care, but since You''re preparing for CAE this may be useful:

1) paid, not payed
2) "You shouldn''t have any problems either" After negative sentences we don''t use too but either.

And tell me, when we use "neither"? Except e.g. "I''m not going to school tomorrow", "Neither do I" (I hope I didn''t make any mistake xD).

Dnia 08.04.2009 o 18:11, JayC napisał:

And tell me, when we use "neither"? Except e.g. "I''m not going to school tomorrow",
"Neither do I" (I hope I didn''t make any mistake xD).

1) Neither can be used instead of either in a sentence which is confirmation to some other negative statement if:
- neither is at the beginningl just like in You example - in this case it can also be replaced with nor
- it''s not a full sentence, as in "me neither"

2) In a special construction neither... nor...
For example Because we are men, neither You nor me will ever fully understand women :-)
If You want to include more subjects neither is only used the first time, all the next ones are nor, for example
Some people in my class smoke, but neither Mark nor Robert nor Paul nor me do.

Note that neither already has the negative part so You don''t use negation later.

3) As a replacement to none in some situations
The teacher asked us a question but none of us knew the answer.
The teacher asked us a question but neither of us knew the answer.

Neither will rather be used when You are talking about a group of known people. If it''s just generally about Your class then none is better. If You were just talking how You had been playing cards with three of Your friends then neither (of the four of You) is ok.

I could miss some other uses here, I''m not a linguist :-)

Dnia 08.04.2009 o 18:30, pkapis napisał:

> And tell me, when we use "neither"? Except e.g. "I''m not going to school tomorrow",

> "Neither do I" (I hope I didn''t make any mistake xD).

1) Neither can be used instead of either in a sentence which is confirmation to some
other negative statement if:
- neither is at the beginningl just like in You example - in this case it can also be
replaced with nor
- it''s not a full sentence, as in "me neither"

2) In a special construction neither... nor...
For example Because we are men, neither You nor me will ever fully understand women :-)
If You want to include more subjects neither is only used the first time, all the next
ones are nor, for example
Some people in my class smoke, but neither Mark nor Robert nor Paul nor me do.

Note that neither already has the negative part so You don''t use negation later.

3) As a replacement to none in some situations
The teacher asked us a question but none of us knew the answer.
The teacher asked us a question but neither of us knew the answer.

Neither will rather be used when You are talking about a group of known people. If it''s
just generally about Your class then none is better. If You were just talking how You
had been playing cards with three of Your friends then neither (of the four of You) is
ok.

I could miss some other uses here, I''m not a linguist :-)

Good to know it. Now I have no doubts :)
Do you study English, or what? :)

Dnia 08.04.2009 o 18:42, Zimek1990 napisał:

Good to know it. Now I have no doubts :)
Do you study English, or what? :)

Nah, I''ve just been using english for a long time and I''ve had many occasions to practice. Now I work with people who can say only a few words in polish between all of them. Mind You, the people here don''t speak proper english, like the one they teach at schools. There are regional differences, accents and some words noone will ever teach You at school, but which are in common use in real life. For example No one here will say that something costs a few thousand - they will say "a few grand".

Dnia 09.04.2009 o 14:16, pkapis napisał:

> Good to know it. Now I have no doubts :)
> Do you study English, or what? :)

Nah, I''ve just been using english for a long time and I''ve had many occasions to practice.
Now I work with people who can say only a few words in polish between all of them. Mind
You, the people here don''t speak proper english, like the one they teach at schools.
There are regional differences, accents and some words noone will ever teach You at school,
but which are in common use in real life. For example No one here will say that something
costs a few thousand - they will say "a few grand".

Nice :) I''m going to study Engish and I wonder how it''s gonna be :) I hope the studies would be a good opportunity to practise language, after that I want to be a translator, but noone knows the future ^^ For now, I have to pass my exams well.

My plans about English are to pass Certificate of Advanced English (I''ve passed FCE), pass matura exam (this harder one xD) at about 80-90% (but of course I would like to pass it as good as it is possible) and then... maybe some course... I don''t know actually.

Dnia 01.05.2009 o 21:09, Dartitwo napisał:

Hi there, its time to show my ultimate english. But whats the subject today?

Whatever you want to talk about ;]

Dnia 01.05.2009 o 21:12, Budo napisał:

> Hi there, its time to show my ultimate english. But whats the subject today?

Whatever you want to talk about ;]

So, last time i started play in World of Warcraft, i have cool Night Elf on 28 lvl . I think i can beat God him with no problem muehahuea. Of course i just kidding because i never pay for play after bought game. But seriously i bought tablet, and now wait for send him to me. I wait already 10 days :(

/.../

WoW is evil, don''t play it ;]
Play gw!
Tablet, you mean this stuff for drawing things? You can ask the guy or shop that sold you the item if he/she already sent it. Sometimes shops are lazy, and don''t sell your stuff, even if ypu paid.

Now my turn:)

Last wednesday I''ve bought a new notebook and my next, new camera:) Notebook is for my women (but I will use it sometimes). I''m very happy:) This notebook maybe is not the best but for me and my women i very very good:) The price was good for us:) Now I am sitting next to this machine and I''m testing it:) Notebook is really good thing:)

Dnia 01.05.2009 o 21:27, Budo napisał:

Play gw!
Tablet, you mean this stuff for drawing things? You can ask the guy or shop that sold
you the item if he/she already sent it. Sometimes shops are lazy, and don''t sell your
stuff, even if ypu paid.

I bought this on allegro, i readed comments on selling guy profile, i now he sending items with lag, but he sealed this tablet for low price .
We wait all us life, then i can wait some more.

>but he sealed this tablet for low price .

You mean selled, not sealed.
Sealing is preventing to open something, or preventing to get into some area.

Dnia 01.05.2009 o 21:39, Dartitwo napisał:

We wait all us life, then i can wait some more.

Translate into english plz ;]

Utwórz konto lub zaloguj się, aby skomentować

Musisz być użytkownikiem, aby dodać komentarz

Utwórz konto

Zarejestruj nowe konto na forum. To jest łatwe!

Zarejestruj nowe konto

Zaloguj się

Masz już konto? Zaloguj się.

Zaloguj się
Zaloguj się, aby obserwować