Zaloguj się, aby obserwować  
PinKee

English Channel

1054 postów w tym temacie

Dnia 03.09.2007 o 21:30, Quatre napisał:

I think ''junior highschool'' could be used when talking about the "gymnasium" :) I know it
sounds a bit American, but I''m almost sure everyone will know what that is. Try to tell ''gymnasium''
to a foreigner - he''ll make a confused face and smile silly ;]

I know that. English version of Polish "gimnazjum" is probably secondary school, but I''m not sure. We always (in our group) use the word "gymnasium" according to "school after elementary school".

Dnia 03.09.2007 o 21:36, LuQeMaStEr napisał:

Will it be big difference if i tell "gym" ?

According to school - will be. Gym means sports hall, closed place, where we''re doing sports, not school. The best way to name school after elementary school is secondary school I think.

Dnia 03.09.2007 o 21:36, LuQeMaStEr napisał:

Will it be big difference if i tell "gym" ?

Well...kinda ye, since gym is a place where you can practice joga or play football :]

When i was in Canada " Secondary School " means the last years of education in Primary School. That is last 3 years, so fourth, fifth and sixth class ...

I wouldn''t like to learn in school without polish. I don''t like that subject very much , but It''s too much important to absolve it.
And Gimnazjum -> Secondary school :)

Dnia 03.09.2007 o 21:35, JayC napisał:

I know that. English version of Polish "gimnazjum" is probably secondary school, but I''m not
sure. We always (in our group) use the word "gymnasium" according to "school after elementary
school".

''Secondary school'' means ''highschool'' in general. In Britain they have different names for schools after the elementary one> Don''t kow them all very well but i know there''s for example grammar school - one that prepares you for college or university. If you name ''gimnazjum'' as "secondary school" how would you call ''szkoła średnia/liceum'' ? There must be some difference in the names of the school types.

BTW this whole discussion is the one more argument that the education system reform was a total failure :] I was this lucky not to be a guinea pig for the politicians and proudly went through the old fashioned school as the last generation before the reform :D

Dnia 03.09.2007 o 21:41, Laska-z-Polski napisał:

I wouldn''t like to learn in school without polish. I don''t like that subject very much ,
but It''s too much important to absolve it.

I know, we live in Poland, so we must learn polish language, but I just don''t like it.

And Gimnazjum -> Secondary school :)

So I was right?

I don''t like that subject very much

Same as me. But fortunately we have good teacher :)

Dnia 03.09.2007 o 21:44, LuQeMaStEr napisał:

I remember "gym" as place where Pokemon trainers can train their favourites :)

the word ''gym'' oroginates from the old greek word ''gymnasion'' which meant the area where ancient Greeks trained their bodies. nowadays ''gym'' is usually used when thinking about the body building gym - Polish ''siłownia''. Or a sports centre where you can train many different sport disciplines.

Dnia 03.09.2007 o 21:48, Mr. Cin napisał:

middle school-gimnazjum

I think that is wrong, because "Middle school" means a school for children between 9 and 13 year old. That is between second and fourth year of education.

Dnia 03.09.2007 o 21:27, Yorrickus napisał:

I''ve been thinking about that for some time today, and I think that...well...perhaps Past
Continuous wouldn''t be the best choice in here after all. The tense that I would use in this
case would be...Past Simple or "used to" construction. (I studied English sometime in the past.
or: I used to study English.)

You are probably right. :-) Just simple Past Simple. :-P
Well, like for me it''s more probable than the Present Perfect or Past Continuous here anyway. ;-)
Anyway, thanks for spending your time on this issue. :-)

Dnia 03.09.2007 o 21:30, Quatre napisał:

I think ''junior highschool'' could be used when talking about the "gymnasium" :) I know it
sounds a bit American, but I''m almost sure everyone will know what that is. Try to tell ''gymnasium''
to a foreigner - he''ll make a confused face and smile silly ;]

Well, in some dictionaries, ,,gimnazjum'''' is ,,secondary school'''' and i use this word most frequently. And that school with optional Polish is interesting. By the way, history is my favourite subject:)

That''s differences is connected with our system of education. It''s completely different than english one. For me, better is english system. Polish solutions, like 6 years of elementary school, 3 years of hard-to-name school and 3 of high school is crap. Better was some years ago, when elementary school obtained 8 years and high 4 years. More stresless (sorry if this word doesn''t exist) and just better for pupils/students.

Utwórz konto lub zaloguj się, aby skomentować

Musisz być użytkownikiem, aby dodać komentarz

Utwórz konto

Zarejestruj nowe konto na forum. To jest łatwe!

Zarejestruj nowe konto

Zaloguj się

Masz już konto? Zaloguj się.

Zaloguj się
Zaloguj się, aby obserwować